If the word “chiropractor” to you is synonymous with “back pain” and “sports injuries”, you may wonder why a newborn should see a chiropractor.
Chiropractic care is really about optimising the health of the spine, nervous system, and muscles and joints of the body. For a baby, this means helping their little bodies develop and learn as healthily as possible. This is extremely important as a newborn’s ability to move and function determines how their spine and structure develops as they grow.
What is chiropractic? Chiropractic is a health profession specialising in the diagnosis, treatment and prevention of mechanical disorders of the musculoskeletal system and the effects of these disorders on the functioning of the nervous system and general health. Link – CASA
Why would a newborn benefit from chiropractic care?
For nine months, babies are cooped up in the womb, assuming many different positions, and some of these are less than ideal. Then there is the birth process itself. Even the most natural, intervention-free births can still place tremendous stress a baby’s spine and limbs. With C-sections, these stresses can occur due to complications and emergencies which adds even more stress to a baby’s body. In the same way with elective C-sections, a baby is not exposed to contractions or the passage through the birth canal which can have an effect on spinal and cranial movement.
Here are the top 3 benefits of taking your newborn to the chiropractor:
- It supports their physical development – Your little one’s body experiences lots of changes in a short period of time. For instance, their lower back and neck curves start to form as they learn to sit or lift their head. Without proper alignment or muscle imbalances, their spinal curves may not develop properly, which can affect their physical development. Gentle and safe chiropractic care can help provide good alignment and muscle balance for your baby’s spine and body.
- It boosts their recovery after birth – The birth process can affect many areas of your child’s body, such as the skull, spine, jaw, shoulders and hips. Chiropractic adjustments for babies involve gentle adjustments in strategic areas that can address these dysfunctions, easing tension and strain.
- It makes them less fussy and irritable – Your little one may become fussy and irritable, and identifying the exact reason that might be causing them to feel that way may be challenging. Their fussiness could be the result of tension and restrictions in their spine or other joints, and these can lead to feeding and sleeping difficulties, headaches, and more. Chiropractic sessions can help with these areas of tension.
How can you as a parent tell if your newborn should be assessed by a chiropractor?
There are many signs that indicate a baby may have spinal dysfunction and will benefit from being checked by a chiropractor:
- Breastfeeding difficulties
- Digestion issues such as cramps, reflux and winding difficulty
- Sleep concerns
- Colic or inconsolable crying
- Neck is in a fixed position, or baby has a flat spot on their head
- Shoulder or hip stiffness and difficulty getting baby dressed or changing nappies
- Doesn’t like tummy time
Taking your baby to a chiropractor may not have been something you thought about, but is a safe way to enhance the overall health of your little one. Be sure to check if the chiropractor you contact has a special interest in treating newborns and infants.